29 June 2012

Not that 'C' word!




As I write this post, Roger Federer has just come from 2 sets down to win 3 sets to 2 in the 3rd round of Wimbledon 2012...

Now, as a personal trainer, an optimist and an advocate for forward thinking, there is one word that if I could ban, from the face of the earth, it would be the 'C' word. I hear this mostly around the gym, but I also hear it in life when people are presented with some form of challenge prior to them even attempting it. 

The word I'm referring to is Can't. This word should be made illegal! In fact, I would like to ban the use of all words that are the opposite to positive! (see what I did there?) But for now, let's stick with the C word in question shall we.

If I had £1 for every time a client said the words "I can't", prior to attempting any exercise, and then failing, I would be quite rich. However, if I had £1 for every time I made them say "I can" prior to them attempting the same exercise, they would complete it 100% of the time. 

You see the only thing stopping you from achieving anything in life is your beliefs, that's it, not your circumstances, your beliefs. 

Founder of the Ford motor company - Henry Ford hit the nail on the head when he said:

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're right".

I'll repeat that because it's probably the most important statement ever made,

''Whether you think you can, or think you can't - You're right!''

Remember, what you focus on, you get more of. 

So before you write off your chances of any accomplishment when you are faced with a challenge, give yourself a little pep talk. And when I say little, all I mean is to simply say the two words that WILL make all the difference to any outcome, those two powerful words are.... 

"I can".

You could always take that one step further by using these next two words:

''I WILL!''

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Matt 'eliminating self limiting beliefs' smith 





No comments:

Post a Comment